Answer: Treat writers and journalists with the respect they deserve.
These guys have the power to write great things about you and your business if you work with them and help them. Here are a few things I’ve learnt that might just result in more PR for your business:
- Be available
- Return calls and emails quickly
- Understand they may have tight deadlines
- Understand the angle they’re writing
- Be polite, helpful and interested in their day
- Be prepared for the conversation and have something interesting to say
- Don’t ask to see the article before it goes to print (it’s their work, not yours!)
- Be humble. If you have a great story to tell, let them write it.
- Don’t take up too much of their time. If they’re busy, respect that.
In short: be nice, be helpful!
**This post is the first of the new series ‘What I’ve learnt this week’ that I’ll publish every Thursday. If you’d like to receive these and other Culture is Everything posts in your email, subscribe here.